Saturday 18 April 2009

Acting-Corporal Richard Percy Abram

Born on 13 November 1878 in Southport, Lancashire, England - husband of Isabella Abram - son of Thomas and Ruth Abram - enlistment paper states was a plasterer's labourer, married, never a member of the military, 5 feet 4.25 inches tall, 36.5 inch chest, fair complexion, blue eyes, brown hair, and a member of the Church of England.

Joined the 59th Canadian Infantry Battalion - was transferred to the 38th Battalion (number 410669) on 22 June 1915 - served with the battalion during its period of garrison duty in Bermuda - landed in France with the battalion on 13 August 1916 - killed in action on 9 April 1917, age 38 - buried in Canadian Cemetery No.2, France.

Update: a photo of Acting-Corporal Abram's headstone I took at Canadian Cemetery No.2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am doing a school project, Life of a Soldier, and I have been assigned this soldier. Your page was very helpful and informative, and I was just wondering if you knew which battle he was killed in? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am doing a school project, Life of a Soldier, and I have been assigned this soldier. Your page was very helpful and informative, and I was just wondering if you knew which battle he was killed in? Thank you.