Wednesday 11 February 2009

Private James Coutts Findleton

Born on 26 November 1880 in Dundee, Scotland - son of Mrs. Alice Findleton, Ottawa, Ontario - at the time of his enlistment in 1915: trade as organ builder, single, no current military service, previously served with the Dundee Highlanders (two years), Baptist, height of 5 feet 7 inches, chest of 34.5 inches fully expanded, dark complexion, blue eyes, brown hair.

Joined the 38th Battalion, CEF, in Barriefield, Ontario, on 28 May 1915 (number 410735) - served with the 38th Battalion during its period of garrison duty in Bermuda - landed in France with the 38th Battalion on 13 August 1916 - wounded on 18 or 19 November 1916 - rejoined the 38th Battalion on 27 February 1917 - wounded on 9 or 10 April 1917 - invalided to England on 13 April 1917.

1 comment:

Lawrence Steven Findleton said...

He was my grandfather, Thank you! FYI, he had two boys and two girls. Olive, then Ronald James Findleton, then my father Samuel Diehl Findleton, then Grace. Jeanetta Lee Findleton was his loving wife and they built their home in the Grand Old City of Watts, near Los Angeles, They lost it in the Great Depression. The house was there when I last looked, but that is no longer a safe place to live. WOunded twice, then the Great Depression!
My Grandfather suffered greatly from PTSD. After my father returned from his service in the Army Air Corps (Now the Airforce) he took my father's new Ford Coupe, something that kept him away from our family of five boys and a girl.
As a teenager, I took my girlfriend with me to meet him. He loved her and ignored me! He died alone in San Pedro, California.
What he experienced explains it all! I have his piano tools today and now, thanks to you, and this recall of his military service, I understand the PTSD part.
Jeanetta divorced him and she was the single most amazing person in my life. "I used to be holding your hand, and now you are holding mine...a tit for tat laddy boy" was the last thing she saild to me. I told her I lover her!
She is buried in Rose Hills overlooking the Los Angeles basin.
More people need to read about WW-1, It was bad! The way we ended it caused WW-2.
I served as a Corpsman with the US Marine Corps. I never was in battle thank God.