Sunday 8 January 2012

Private Frank Rorke

Born on 1 April 1893 in Muskoka, Ontario - son of Mary Rorke, Toronto, Ontario - at the time of his enlistment in 1915: trade as labourer; single; no current or previous military service; Methodist; height of 5 feet 4.5 inches; chest of 34.5 inches fully expanded; dark complexion; blue eyes; black hair.

Joined the 59th Battalion, CEF, in Lindsay, Ontario, on 7 May 1915 - transferred to the 38th Battalion, CEF, on 22 June 1915 (number 410873) - served with the 38th Battalion during its period of garrison duty in Bermuda - landed in France with the 38th Battalion on 13 August 1916 - wounded on 18 November 1916 - rejoined the 38th Battalion on 12 March 1917 - transferred to the Canadian Labour Pool, CEF, on 9 March 1918 - transferred to the 1st Canadian Infantry Works Battalion, CEF, on 5 September 1918.

(sources: Library and Archives Canada (www.collectionscanada.gc.ca), online attestation papers; Canadian War Museum, 19740281-001, Manu 58F 2 3, 207th Canadian Infantry Battalion and 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion, Nominal Roll; The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa Regimental Museum, A400-0007, Master Personnel List for the 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ken - Private Frank Rorke is my great uncle - I believe his brothers, Edgar (my grandfather) Charlie and one other brother were in the 38th.

I appreciate this post.

I have "Rorke" on a google search and couldn't believe your post.

Nancy Rorke

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ken.

I have a google search for "Rorke" and was surprised to see my great uncle's name. His father is Jospeh Rorke, Jr.

His brothers Edgar (my grandfather, Charlie I believe and one other brother were in the 38th.

Nancy Rorke

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ken.

Frank Rorke is my great-uncle. I have "Rorke" on a google search and I was surprised to see a "Rorke" relative.

His father is Jospeh Rorke Jr. who I believe died in 1899 - I don't have the info at work.

His brothers, Edgar (my grandfather)Charlie (I believe) and one other brother was in the
38.

Thanks again.

Nancy Rorke

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ken.

I've typed this comment 4 times. I have a google search for 'Rorke' and was surprised to see my uncle's name.

Frank Rorke is my great-uncle. His father is Joseph Rorke, Jr.who died approximately 1899.

His brothers, Edgar (my grandfather), Charlie (?) Henry (?)
were in the 38th, too.

Nancy Rorke

T J Rorke said...

Ken. I'm a great nephew of Frank Rorke.I have a copy of his astestation papers. He was quite the character. He had 3 other brothers oversea's as well. I know he was wounded by shrapnel and fell into a just captured German trench where a German Doctor was forced to work on him. Saved his life. He was court marshalled twice. He lived until his eighties. No children. Is there any source I can continue my research on him. I will be sharing your info with many Rorke families across Canada.
Thank You
T.J. Rorke NB. Canada