Tuesday 30 October 2012

Private Walter Lewis

Born on 20 July 1898 in Carleton Place, Ontario - son of John E. and E.S. Lewis, Carleton Place, Ontario - at the time of his enlistment in 1916: present address in Carleton Place, Ontario; trade as stove mounter; single; no current or previous military service; Church of England; height of 5 feet 4.5 inches; chest of 32 inches fully expanded; weight of 115 pounds; ruddy complexion; brown eyes; black hair.

Joined the 240th Battalion, CEF, in Renfrew, Ontario, on 22 August 1916 (number 1042092) - taken on the strength of the 38th Battalion, CEF, on 1 or 2 February 1918 - wounded on 22 or 23 April 1918 - rejoined the 38th Battalion on 30 April 1918 - declared missing, presumed dead, on 10 August 1918 - name inscribed on the Vimy Memorial, France.

(Updated with a photo of Pte Lewis's inscription on the Vimy Memorial that I took in August 2012).

(sources: Library and Archives Canada (www.collectionscanada.gc.ca), online attestation papers; Canadian War Museum, 19740281-001, Manu 58F 2 3, 207th Canadian Infantry Battalion and 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion, Nominal Roll; The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa Regimental Museum, A400-0007, Master Personnel List for the 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force; Sailing List, 240th Battalion, CEF)

2 comments:

Memoria Lewis said...

Private Walter Lewis and Lance-Sergeant Robert Lewis are my great uncles. My father, Walter H. Lewis was named after Private Walter Lewis. My eldest daughter, Florence, just recently returned from a trip to the Western Front. All the more meaningful to us as a family knowing that Walter is still there...somewhere.
Thank you for posting,
Memoria

Laura Rowlands said...

Walter Lewis and Robert Lewis were also my great uncles. My Grandmother Grace Lewis (married name Prendergast) was their sister. Grace's daughter Ivy is my mother.
Walter was underage when he enlisted. I have a small bible and Sunday school picture that belonged to him. Every time I hear news that remains of Canadian soldiers have been found I wonder could it be Walter? I've researched the national archives on Walter and I still feel very drawn to him. My Grandmother always said how heartbroken Walter's mother Mrs. Lewis was to lose him.