Friday 27 July 2007

Acting Lieutenant-Colonel John Hector Innes Brown

Born on 26 October 1874 in Edinburgh, Scotland - husband of Doris Emily Brown, St. Johns, Quebec - enlistment records provide the following: present address in St. Johns, Quebec, trade as cost accountant, Presbyterian, no current military service, previously served as the Captain-Adjutant in the 10th Imperial Yeomanry, South Africa.

Joined the 73rd Canadian Infantry Battalion in Montreal, Quebec, on 15 January 1916 - landed in France with the 73rd Battalion on 12 August 1916 - attached to the 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion in France from 20 April to 11 June 1917 - granted ten days' leave of absence to England on 7 May 1917 - leave extended to 11 June 1917 - retained in England on 12 June 1917 - served as an Instructor at the Canadian School of Military Engineering from 4 May to 11 September or 31 December 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order.

Mentioned in Despatches on 1 June 1917 (London Gazette No. 30107).

Mentioned in Despatches on 28 December 1917 (London Gazette No. 30448).

Served with the Corps of Military Police after the war in Canada - died on 31 March or 2 April 1927.

6 comments:

Nancy (Brown) Wilson said...

I am the granddaughter of John Hector Innes Brown. I am trying to find his burial site. I would also like to know if he served in the British military. I have a picture of him and also one of his medals. I know one medal is the DSO but would ask assistance in identifying his other medals. Does anyone know the names of his mother, father or siblings?

Nancy (Brown) Wilson said...

I am the granddaughter of John Hector Innes Brown. I have a picture of him and his medals. I would like to have his pictures added to the Canadian Expeditionary Forces for posterity. I would like to find out where he is buried.

Anonymous said...

Hello Nancy, I have read your comments and wondered if you had managed to get the information you were seeking? I have details of his death. If you are still seeking this information please respond via this thread and I will identify/introduce myself properly and pass my contact details to you.

seaforths said...

Hello Nancy, I hope you have managed to find the information you are seeking by now. If not, I have details of his death. If you still need that information, please respond via this thread and I will identify/introduce myself properly and give you my contact details. Kind regards

seaforths said...

Hello Nancy, I hope you have managed to locate the information you are seeking. I don't have details on a burial but I do have some information regarding his death. If you would like this information, please reply to this post and I will introduce myself properly and pass on my contact details to you. Kind regards

Nancy Brown said...

I am the granddaughter of Lt-Col. John Hector Innes Brown. I discovered his date of death as 29 March 1927. He was buried by the St. George s Society in Cypress Hills Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY. Grave 46-A, Lot 4-9, 5A-9A, St. Georges Section 13.I have a picture of his tombstone that is shared with others; however, I cannot get it to upload to his page on the Canadian Great War Project. He is listed as Major there. I have also located the names of his mother and father and 3 brothers along with his grandparents.