Friday 12 October 2007

Lance-Corporal Thomas Joseph Cassidy, MM

Born on 27 November 1896 in Buckingham, Quebec - son of Patrick Cassidy, Campbells Bay, Quebec - enlistment records provide the following: present address same as father, trade as agent, single, no current or previous military service, Roman Catholic, height of 5 feet 6.5 inches, chest of 34 inches fully expanded, fair complexion, blue eyes, black hair.

Joined the 74th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery, CEF, in Campbells Bay, Quebec, on 1 March 1917 (number 344970) - taken on the strength of the 38th Battalion, CEF, on 11 or 12 July 1917 - wounded on 2 September 1918 - rejoined the 38th Battalion on 4 October 1918 - struck off the strength of the 38th Battalion on 16 June 1919.

Awarded the Military Medal - no citation - unit recommendation 7 September 1918: "For gallantry during Scarpe Operations, Sept 1st and 2nd 1918."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd drop a note. Thomas Cassidy was my uncle. He was my grandfather's brother. I didn't know that my uncle was in the military until last year. I'm married to a military officer and have just relocated to the area, we are in base Petawawa. Interesting site!

athangarasu@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to drop a note to you to thank you for this blog. A military collector saw my Uncle's WW1 medals up for auction on ebay, he was tracing the medals and saw my comment and was kind enough to contact me. My family is currently trying to bid on the medals to bring them back to the family. They have been missing for 60 years. My mum and her brothers are very excited to see that the medals are still existing.
thank you
Amanda Owen
athangarasu@hotmail.com

Ken said...

Hi Amanda,

That's great news! I'm glad the military collector was able to find you. It must be fantastic to have the medals back in your family.

Ken