Thursday 16 April 2009

Private Thomas Culbert

Born on 10 May 1891 in Belfast, Ireland - husband of Elizabeth Culbert, Mount Dennis, Ontario - father of James and Neil Culbert - at time of his enlistment in 1916: present address same as wife, trade as machinist, married, no current or previous military service, Methodist, height of 5 feet 3.5 inches, chest of 36 inches fully expanded, fair complexion, brown eyes, brown hair.

Joined the 126th Battalion, CEF, in Toronto, Ontario, on 13 January 1916 (number 775036) - taken on the strength of the 38th Battalion, CEF, on 4 or 6 December 1916 - wounded on 22 or 24 February 1917 - rejoined the 38th Battalion on 10 April 1917 - died on 24 June 1917 of wounds received that day - buried in La Chaudière Military Cemetery (grave Sumach Cemetery Memorial 20), France.

Both sons named their first born boys after their father - Thomas Neil Culbert and Thomas William Culbert.

My thanks to Thomas William Culbert for additional information on the family.

Update: a photo of Private Culbert's headstone I took at La Chaudière Military Cemetery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

November 15 2008

Hello Mr.Reynolds

Being one of Private Culberts two Grandson's I thank you for this great historical work on behalf of all who gave their lives for freedom.

His two sons James and Neil were babies when Thomas was killed. James and Neil named both of their first born boys after their Dad.

My cousin, Thomas Neil was born October 1st and myself,Thomas William on October 8th,1941.

We are all very proud of
Private Thomas Culbert.

Thank you and God Bless.

Thomas W. Culbert
London Ontario

Anonymous said...

I am a granddaughter of Private Thomas Culbert, my father was James William Culbert. I would also like to thank you for this great historical work on behalf of the Culbert family & on behalf of all who gave their lives for our freedom.
As my brother, Thomas William wrote in the previous comment, we are all very proud of our grandfather, Private Thomas Culbert

Thank you,

Marnie(Culbert)Baker
Wellesley, Ontario

Anonymous said...

I am the other Thomas Culbert named after my grandfather. Thank you for maintaining this web site. I have learned things about my grandfather I didn't know before.

Thomas Neil Culbert

Ken said...

Thank you to all of you for your comments.

Ken