Friday 20 August 2010

Private Albert Joseph Maingot

Born on 15 September 1888 in Trinidad, British West Indies - son of Albert L. Maingot, Trinidad, British West Indies - at the time of his enlistment in 1916: present address in St. Jean, Quebec; trade as clerk; single; no current military service; previously served in the United States Army (two years); Roman Catholic; height of 5 feet 11.5 inches; chest of 37.5 inches fully expanded; dark complexion; dark brown eyes; dark hair.

Joined the 87th Battalion, CEF, in St. Jean, Quebec, on 15 February 1916 (number 178216) - taken on the strength of the 38th Battalion, CEF, in England on 14 July 1916 - attached to the 12th Canadian Trench Mortar Battery, CEF, on 16 August 1916 - sent to England for commissioning on 26 April 1917 - commissioned as a Lieutenant with the Quebec Regiment, CEF, on 2 September 1917 - transferred to the 87th Battalion on 20 October 1917 - wounded on 2 September 1918.

(sources: Library and Archives Canada (www.collectionscanada.gc.ca), online attestation papers; Canadian War Museum, 19740281-001, Manu 58F 2 3, 207th Canadian Infantry Battalion and 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion, Nominal Roll; The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa Regimental Museum, A400-0007, Master Personnel List for the 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are speaking of my father. When I worked at be EB Eddy's in Hull Quebec, I was assisting at the EB Eddy's veterine's banquet. One of the new veterine's noted my name tag ans said to me, I fought with your grand-father at Vimy and he looked at me and said he was fearless. I was surprised when I realize he was talking about my father, who was awarded a battlefield commission at Vimy in 1917. He said it was the second best thing that happened to him in the war. Because whe he returns from officer training in England, he was billeted with a French family, as officer's were, and had a real bed. And the best thing that happened, he told me, was when he was wounded in September, 1918' he was hospitalized in England and when he recovered the Armistice had been signed.

John J Maingot, Ottawa, Canada